Saturday, September 16, 2017

GD Calico Craft Parts - Nautical Frame

Welcome!
 I'm so excited and happy to be invited to the Calico Craft Parts Blog
 as a guest designer this month.
I was very impressed when I finally saw the amazing pieces from Calico Craft Parts in original.
They immediately reminded me of my time as a "woodworm" ;-)  
yes, I loved working with wood -  mainly scroll saw projects. 
Calico's wooden shapes are so filigree and I could never have done this with a jigsaw! And their natural shades are wonderful too. 


As you may already know I have a soft spot for the sea with all its wonderful and mysterious creatures, and when I saw the wonderful aquatic and marine wood shapes at the Calico Craft Parts shop I was immediately inspired to create a new mixed media home decoration piece.

 Before and After


My base was an old simple plastic frame, but I fell in love with it
because it looks like a store window or a TV, right?!

How I did it:

Calico Craft Parts wood shapes used:

 

 I chose old book pages and black tissue paper in combination with white crackle paint and some brown shades from a Glimmer Mist spray. A very easy technique but I wanted a wonderfully neutral and more subtle background for the beautiful wooden shapes. I only used very few colours -  a patina green, black, white and a little bit neon green for a magical effect, because the Galleon boat reminded me of the 'Black Pearl'
(you know what I mean?)  Yes, I admit it : I'm a big fan of the Pirates of Carribean stories.
 
some close up's




I highlighted the crab and kelp with just some little pearls and used  transparent gel as glue



I used the untreated Ships Wheel as a base and added the Galleon Boat  for a 3D effect.
I love to combine the various sizes of the wood shapes to create layers!


sideview


At the end of the process I decided to make one of my favourite sayings the focal element, but that
may well be exchanged with a photo sometime.


Done!


I am not a person of many words, so I would like to say a heartfelt THANK YOU
for your invitation in the form of a small extra project on which I used
my absolute favourite among the Calico Craft Parts wood shapes:

in combination with the gorgeous


Thanks for your visit! 
I hope this was a bit of inspiration for you!
I will return at the end of the month with a 
new, spooktacular project and I hope you will then stop by again  :-)

Happy crafting!
Kerstin

1 comment:

  1. I am in love with your gorgeous Leafy Sea Dragon, Kerstin!
    And once more you created something beautiful from trash - that altered plastic frame is brilliant!

    Thank you for being our guest over at Calico Craft Parts this month!

    Hugs,
    Claudia xxx

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate all your comments. Thanks so much!